So what is the Ketogenic diet?
It is a low carb/high fat diet that shifts your body’s metabolism from burning sugar to burning fat as its primary source of fuel. Why would you want to do that? Because, while our bodies are incredible machines that can toggle between burning carbs or fat as its primary source of fuel, utilizing fat is a way more efficient way for the body to operate. For example, did you know; our brain is 60% fat and needs health fatty-acids to promote the growth of neurons. Now, Ive done this diet before and I do find it difficult to sustain long-term which is why we are aiming for 3 months utilizing a:
- Cyclical ketogenic diet (CKD): This involves periods of higher-carb re-feeds, such as 5 ketogenic days followed by 2 high-carb days
I’ve put together a list of pros and cons of this diet.
- Effective tool for loosing weight quickly
- Can help with PCOS
- Decreased hunger
- Helps with migraines
- May increase fertility
- Better mental performance & mood
- Decreases high blood pressure
- Decreases inflammation
- Limited food choices
- Difficult to sustain long-term
- Can cause vitamin and mineral deficiency
There are lots of evidence-based studies out there on the keto diet. I would encourage you to do some research to find out if this might be a right fit for you!
Have you done the keto diet before?
What were your thoughts, comment below!